jueves, 23 de septiembre de 2010

Caitlin Burgess



How did you get started with all this??
I grew up in a very musical family. My mom was in a band and had guitars around the house. My dad's side of the family was always singing and playing different instruments when the family got together. My parents put me in piano and violin when I was young, and around 13 I started playing my mom's classical guitar. She told me she had a feeling about it so she bought me an acoustic guitar for my 14th birthday. From there I just kept playing, I started singing with one of my best friends and performing at school functions. Once I got to university I didn't have my singing partner anymore so I made a go of it on my own - writing music and playing at coffee houses and open mic nights around Toronto. I just fell in love with performing and kept going from there, booking shows, recording a CD and just trying to get my music out there.

What's the message to transmit with your music??
I hope I come across as a strong woman - someone who struggles with relationships in love, friendship and otherwise, but comes out of each one having learned something. I write about love, broken hearts and cheating boyfriends, but I also write about family, my experience living in a big city, social injustice and my understanding of the world.

What's your method at the time of writing a song??
I don't have one way to write a song. Sometimes I am just going along in my day, and a word or an event sparks an idea in me. I always carry around a notebook because I'm constantly coming up with cool phrases or ideas and if i don't write them down, I'll lose them. One line can spark an idea for a song. Sometimes I will just sit down with my guitar and play different chord progressions until I feel like I have something, and I'll create a song just out of the music rather than lyrically first. I find my best songs are the ones that come out fast - either in an afternoon or maybe a few days.

Who are your music influences??
I am complelety in love with Patty Griffin, she in incredible. Other big musical influences are other folk singers like classic Bob Dylan and Emmylou Harris, but also artists like Ryan Adams, Schuyler Fisk and Missy Higgins.

What plans do you have for the future??
I recorded and independently released a solo CD in 2008. I have so many new songs and I feel like they have more depth and something to say so I would love to record a new album. My next step is to put a band together, add some drums & bass to my sound to fill it out. I guess my ideal future is to get the chance to go on tour and perform for other audiences. I have had the chance to travel and perform in other cities, and now I have the bug.

If you were stranded in the middle of nowhere after a show for awhile on tour, the help is 65 miles away from where you and your band (if any) are, who would you send to look for help? And if while the rest wait, there's no food and the only way to feed yourself is by eating each other, who would you eat first?
Well, hopefully if I'm on tour I am with other band members, crew or at least my best friends. I think I would send the bravest soul for help. I guess in my ideal "stuck" situation, in this day of technology and iphones, I would hope we could find some help. Now in terms of eating each other, just don't eat me! You can't eat the singer!

Which country you would love to play?
I would love to play in England

With which bands you would love to share a stage??
I have to say Patty Griffin and Emmylou Harris again. That would be such a dream as a folk singer. I would also love to rock out on stage with someone like Bruce Springsteen, that would be incredible.

Are you OK with the direction you are going actually?
Absolutely. I just love performing my music and that's what I get to do. Of course I would love to get signed and get the ball rolling with a new album and a tour, but you have to pay your dues as a musician. I've been working at this for a long time, and I hope I get the chance for even greater opportunities.

Check out more of this artist by going to: http://www.myspace.com/caitlinburgess

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario